New little animation of my daughter explaining another dream.
Here's another one about the fragile structure of personality for the Identity series.
Another one of these little quick animations for the Identity series. This one's about feeling most alive when working.
I learned a great method for rigging mouths for lip sync animation and applied it to this audio track I had of my 4-year-old recounting one of her crazy dreams :). I think it worked out pretty well, although next time I'll probably make more than the 7 mouth positions I used here (to include some softer/lazier mouth positions like "nuh" and "uh"). This only took a couple of hours to animate, once the illustration were complete. Roughest part was the render, which took over an hour.
I learned a lot--especially regarding my CPU limits--with this one. Drew the astronaut in Draw and imported but all other elements were created in AE. The stars are a simple effect but the colors are blobs with displaced turbulence. All in all, there were about layers that each had at least one effect that included an evolving element. The duration is just a few frames over 4 seconds, the frame rate is low (20) and the size is only 750 pixels wide. Still, my computer could not render this file with crashing After Effects. In the end I had to reduce/delete many effects and tweak the export settings. The resulting render turned to be less than ten megs, which leads me to believe that all of those vector calculations are difficult for the processor for a brief moment and then the rest of the render must be very light work.
I love the way the outer space effects came out and want to do more of these on their own (no character). So next time, I'll probably have to consider knitting elements to gather in Photoshop and/or test-rendering as I add each effect to know when the compass reaching its limit.
This little animation looks pretty simple, but it was massively informative to create. When trying to character rig the body, I learned the hard way that Duik will only allow for three bones per IK. After working around that issue, I realized that I could have built this whole character out of sine waves, which would have resulted in a smoother, more elegant design, especially with regard to the underlying code. I'll likely rebuild this rig the "right" way, including the animation of her hair, for a later practice. For now, I just want to let her ride for awhile.
On the up-side, this is the smallest animation I've made. It's just over 2 seconds and the initial render was only 4 megs. (By contrast, the walk cycle animation I've been working one for weeks, renders the 10-second clip at almost 2 gigs).
Working to create a new gif everyday for 30 days n my quest to strengthen/learn new motion graphic techniques. I'm giving myself an hour each day to create and each final gif must be under 5 megs. Here we go!